Laughter is a great way to relieve stress, improve your mood, and can have some health benefits as well. There is no doubt about it that laughter relieves stress however it can also provide many short term and surprisingly long term benefits as well. Laughter is a positive sensation that provides therapy similar to cognitive behaviorial therapies in which physical, psychological, and social relationships are strengthened, ultimately leading to an improvement in the quality of one's life.
Laughter naturally decreases stress-making hormones in the blood including cortisol, epinephrine, growth hormone, and 3,4-dihydrophenylacetic acid, which all contribute to the effects of stress. Endorphins are also released as a result of laughter thus making it a noninvasive and non-pharmacological alternative treatment for depression and stress that's both effective and scientifically supported.
Here is a list of short term benefits from Laughter:
- Stimulating organs to enhance intake of oxygen rich air, heart rate, lungs, and muscles.
- Cools down stress response
- Stimulate circulation and muscle relaxation
Here is a list of long term effects from Laughter:
- Improving your immune system
- Relieve pain by producing natural painkillers
- Increase personal satisfaction and make it easier to cope with difficult situations
- Improving mood and anxiety levels in the long run